How Can I File for Divorce When My Spouse is Out of the U.S.A.?

Looking For a Specific Post?

Select Category

Select Month

How Can I File for Divorce When My Spouse is Out of the U.S.A.?

March 01 2017
By Faye Carroll

For many individuals, success in a career or the pursuit of an education takes them out of the country. Unfortunately, living in another country to pursue a degree or for a career opportunity can often put a large amount of stress on an individual’s personal relationships, including a marriage. Although long-distance relationships can work, there are many cases where the stress of being away from each other is too much to handle. However, divorce with one individual abroad can be complicated without the proper legal help.

Uncontested Divorce While Abroad

In many ways, pursuing an uncontested divorce while abroad is similar to divorce when both spouses reside in the United States. However, there are a few important differences. In order for your divorce to be valid in Virginia at least one spouse must be a bona fide resident and domiciliary of Virginia. This is true even if both spouses are living abroad. One spouse must confirm their permanent Virginia residency, and state that they are only living in the other country on a temporary basis.

After proving residency, both spouses must then give consent to the divorce just like cases in the United States. To makes sure you follow the law properly so your international divorce can be recognized, get in touch with a skilled legal representative today.

Contact Us

If you have questions about pursuing divorce while you, your spouse, or both of you are living overseas, contact a Virginia Family Law Center, P.C. toll free at (866) 675-3011 or (703) 865-5839 to schedule your consultation.

Schedule Your 30-Minute
Telephone Consultation With Our Attorney

more than




At Virginia Family Law Center, we protect clients’ rights and help them understand the legal processes they are working through. Schedule your 30-minute telephone consultation with an experienced lawyer by filling out the form below.